Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua: Why the fight is ‘officially over’

One of the most anticipated heavyweight clashes of this generation – Anthony Joshua vs. Tyson Fury – has now been called off.

The showdown has been penciled in to take place at the Principality’s Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, on Saturday, December 3, 2022.

Joshua’s manager Eddie Hearn has confirmed that a 60/40 split purse in favor of Fury has been agreed with both parties.

258MGT, which is the London boxer’s management team, released a statement confirming the fight:

With an agreed date, venue and purse, fans began planning their dream British heavyweight fight, but Tyson Fury has since confirmed that the ‘Battle of Britain’ is now over, but why?.

Why was Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury cancelled?

The three-time world heavyweight champion lives in Morecambe with his wife Paris and their children. In September 2015 he expressed an interest in standing as an independent candidate to be MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale, but the plan never materialized.

Manchester’s own Tyson Fury put a spanner in the works of the future of the fight when he issued an ultimatum to Anthony Joshua and his team.

Fury pressured the London boxer to sign the match contract by 5 p.m. on Monday September 26 – failing to do so would see the fight called off.

Anthony Joshua assured Fury he would sign the contract, saying: “It’s not in my hands, it’s with the legal team. That’s why you hire lawyers. You know the story of boxing, make sure you understand your legal terms.

“Of course, I will sign a contract. It’s just with lawyers by the minute.”

However, it appears the 32-year-old missed Fury’s deadline – and now the Withenshawe native has confirmed on Instagram that the fight will no longer take place.

He said: “It’s official. D-Day has passed. It’s past 5 p.m. on Monday, no contract has been signed. It’s officially over for Joshua. He’s now out in the cold with the wolf pack Forget it. Idiot. Coward!

“I always knew you didn’t have the resources to fight the Gypsy King. Good luck in your career and in your life.”

What’s next for Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua?

Fight fans have long wanted to see Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua square off

Even though Fury retired from professional boxing earlier this year, the 34-year-old has returned to the sport for a potential WBC WBO WBA IBF unification bout with Oleksandr Usyk.

However, it has been confirmed that the Ukrainian won’t be able to fight again this year, having beaten Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia by split decision in August 2022.

As the ‘Battle of Britain’ has fallen by the wayside, it is still likely that Fury will fight again this year.

Former WBA champion Mahmoud Charr has called out The Gypsy King. He said Sky Sports“Everyone knows that Fury has promised more than once to fight me. If he’s the real Spartan, he has to fight the real Superman. That’s me.

“I’m coming off a five-game winning streak and God gave me another chance at life. Everyone knows I just had a stomach shot and two hip surgeries. Never forget , seven months later, I became the first Arab heavyweight champion in the world.

“This story is the same as Fury, not giving up and fighting for the legacy. I want Fury next. Fear not, Spartan, take up my challenge!”

While the future is much more uncertain for Anthony Joshua, who is coming off back-to-back defeats to Usyk.

Eddie Hearn has previously suggested that Dillian Whyte and Deontay Wilder are his next opponents.

About Jerry Richter

Check Also

Preview: Wigan Athletic v Blackpool – prediction, team news, line-ups

Sports Mole preview Saturday’s Championship clash between Wigan Athletic and Blackpool, including predictions, team news …