Nick Pope “disappointed” to be excluded from Gareth Southgate’s 25-man squad for England’s World Cup qualifiers against Albania and San Marino … but Burnley’s goalkeeper is convinced that the door is NOT closed for him
- Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope disappointed to miss England squad
- However, he insists he has “massive respect” for Gareth Southgate no matter what.
- The Pope also understands that the “door” of the England team is not closed to him
Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope is disappointed to miss England again but stressed his “massive respect” for Gareth Southgate and that he knows “the door is not closed”.
Southgate’s squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Albania and San Marino was announced on Thursday with Pope being omitted while Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale and Sam Johnstone were given the nod – as was the case last month.
Pope, the seven-cap holder, had previously returned to the squad for England games in September, after missing his Euro 2020 campaign over the summer after undergoing knee surgery.
Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope disappointed to miss England squad again
The 29-year-old has received praise for his recent performances, and he said at a press conference on Thursday, ahead of Burnley’s trip to Chelsea on Saturday, that he felt “in the right place” in terms of form .
Asked about the England squad, Pope said: “I am obviously disappointed to be left out. I was disappointed to have been sent off last month. But it is not my decision, it is is the manager’s decision, it’s out of my hands.
‘It’s unfortunate. I think over the past three years I have played at a very good level. So being kicked out of a team six games in a season wasn’t something that wasn’t ideal, but that’s the way football is, how life is.
âIt’s about moving forward and continuing. I have a very important role to play here at Burnley on a really exciting team, so I can’t wait to play my part.
Nonetheless, Pope insists he has “massive respect” for England boss Gareth Southgate
Southgate’s squad for the World Cup qualifiers was announced on Thursday. The Pope was left out as Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale and Sam Johnstone got the nod
“That’s how I felt about it, going into the summer before the injury – pushing Jordan, and if you want to call him second pick for the Euro this summer. And then the injury, and (I’m) back this season and (I’m) not in the top three.
“But football – sometimes it’s not about dwelling on it and overthinking it. After that international break, I think there are four, five months between England games. So there is a lot more going on.
Pope said he had a “very good conversation” with England boss Southgate when he was sent off for the October games.
And he said of the England boss: “I have immense respect for him, he brought me to the squad and kept me in the squads and has always been very good to me when I I played, not played, so getting a call is nice in that regard, especially since the news was not good.
He added: “I’m sure he (Southgate) had more difficult decisions than letting me down. I don’t think that sent shockwaves through the football world.
Burnley goalkeeper says he knows ‘the door is not closed’ on England squad
Sean Dyche says he is a ‘great goalkeeper’ and was not ‘far’ from the England squad
“There are a lot that have come out and then come back in the last three or four years, so the door isn’t closed, which is good to know.”
Burnley boss Sean Dyche said after the 3-1 win over Brentford last week that he believed Pope was “looking way back”.
And Dyche added on Thursday: “I think he’s been great. I think he’s a great goalie anyway at all levels. He wasn’t far, but he had been out for a while and had gained real sharpness, and I think it’s back.
When asked if he felt Pope was back to where he was before his injury, Dyche replied, âI certainly think so. I think the way he played the last few games he’s made Very important saves, but not just that – the basics of his game, reading the game and going out for crosses, and the confidence to do it, he’s back at that level as well. ‘