Lyon have denied having reached an agreement with Newcastle over the sale of midfielder Bruno Guimaraes.
According to reports on Wednesday morning, the Premier League side had agreed a fee for the 24-year-old Brazil international who was due to undergo a medical while away with his national side this week.
However, the Ligue 1 outfit insist there is no deal in place.
They said in a statement on their official website: “Olympique Lyonnais categorically denies the false information disseminated by numerous media reporting an agreement between Newcastle and OL for the transfer of Brazilian international midfielder Bruno Guimaraes.
“In this transfer window period, where the slightest rumor is often presented as reality, Olympique Lyonnais reminds us that only information officially released by the club is to be taken into consideration.”
Guimaraes, who joined French club Atletico Paranaense in 2020, has featured 25 times for Lyon this season and is considered a key player.
Newcastle are keen to bring him to St James’ Park before next Monday’s transfer window closes as they try to strengthen their squad for the Premier League’s relegation battle.
The Magpies, who are currently training in Saudi Arabia, have already brought in Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood and have been linked with a host of other names including Jesse Lingard, Dele Alli and Diego Carlos.
Newcastle boss Eddie Howe confirmed that “a lot of hard work” was going on at the club while the team were away.
“I don’t think they have any news to tell anyone at this time, but I’m checking in regularly on what’s going on,” Howe told NUFC TV.
“As we know it’s a tough window and we just hope we can get a few more additions to strengthen the team.”
Newcastle will play a friendly against Saudi Pro League leaders Al-Ittihad on Friday.
Paul Dummett, Joelinton and Jamaal Lascelles, who all came out in the 1-0 win over Leeds on Saturday, continue to be rated along with Federico Fernandez.
“Obviously we want him (Fernandez) back as soon as possible, but we don’t want to push him where he has a setback, so we have to try and manage the next step well,” Howe said.
Before heading to Saudi Arabia, Howe had defended the club’s decision to travel for a mid-season training camp amid criticism from human rights campaigners.
“The boys have been really good to each other, really positive,” Howe said after Wednesday’s practice.
“The facilities are very good here, the pitches are of good quality, we have used the gym regularly since we have been here, so we have everything we need.
“Some team building activities as well, so really satisfied so far, but there is still work to do.”