Kirkby Lonsdale RUFC take on Blackburn in the Northern Premier League

Match report edited by Alexander Candlin speaking to David Higson.

KIRKBY Lonsdale returned to action at Ramsgreave Drive where they took on league heavyweights Blackburn.

The top Northern Premier League side had enjoyed a string of success during the season and Kirkby was determined to give them a challenge.

Kirkby, with several senior colts on the team, started off with a strong wind blowing across the field.

An early penalty came from a high tackle which gave the home side an advantage and their backs moved the ball up the pitch before kicking in.

Kirkby lost the scrum and Blackburn were over for their first unconverted try with just seven minutes on the clock.

The home defenders moved the ball down the line again and despite a knockout from 5 yards out went over the top for their second try.

The referee felt he had come out of the attacking players chest and allowed the try to stand. 10 minutes and 10-0. The Blackburn players showed their strength and experience when they ran in two more tries in the next 10 minutes despite tackles and drawing errors from the Kirkby lads at home.

The score went to 24-0.

As the game progressed the home side were on the attack when Sam Nicholson went for the interception and a scoring opportunity looked on the cards but he couldn’t complete the move and Blackburn had the scrum. The forwards arrived and the home team prop dived to make it 29-0.

There followed a period of pressure from Kirkby but crossing the line against this well-drilled defense resulted in an offense and Blackburn cleared the field. Despite their relentless defence, Kirkby conceded three more tries before the half-time whistle as the score moved to 48-0.
Blackburn restarted the second half and Kirkby managed to retain possession but made little progress.

Nicholson moved the ball towards Huddleston who drilled through the local backs and dodged their number 15 to score under the posts. 48-7 with less than 5 minutes remaining.

The home side responded with a try, using their back line to make it 53-7.

A period of good play from the visitors put pressure on the home defense but a lost ruck allowed Blackburn to clear their line. The next 15 minutes belonged to Blackburn with their forwards linked at full backs to move the table to 65-7.

The Kirkby pack attacked the visitors and again camped on their try line without coming away with any points. Lost balls in rucks have been Kirkby’s downfall this season, as well as finishing by forwards in sight of the line.

Another spell of attacking play from the home side failed with the visitors’ stoic defense clearing their line-out to meet the next ferocious attack leading to a converted try at the back. 72-7.

A new try with 10 minutes remaining and the board showed 79-7.

Blackburn didn’t let go and ran in their final try at the full-time whistle to make it 84-7 full-time.
The chairman of Blackburn had written in the program that his team were playing their best rugby in club history.

No consolation for the young Kirkby players who have given their all this season with small returns and played with pride to wear the colors of the Club.

Lymm then to Underley Park to see the end of the season.

About Jerry Richter

Check Also

No private sale, use of fireworks during drought disaster declaration in effect: Bell County judge

BELTON, Texas (KWTX) – Bell County Judge David Blackburn on Wednesday, June 22, issued an …