Although there is still some way to go before an agreement is reached, the Clarets are confident of achieving their goal.
The 26-year-old was absent from his side’s training camp in Horst on Friday, fueling speculation of a move to Turf Moor.
Sean Dyche’s successor had hinted he wouldn’t move for any of his former players – speaking to the press at the Arthur Bellamy Media Center in Gawthorpe last month.
He said: “For the moment, I am not thinking of bringing in players from Anderlecht. I don’t want to harm my old club. This is far from my intention. »
However, it looks like Cullen will be announced as the Manchester City legend’s sixth signing at the club, following the snaps of Scott Twine, Luke McNally, CJ Egan-Riley, Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Samuel Bastien.
The Irishman, who had previous loan spells in England with Bradford City, Bolton Wanderers and Charlton Athletic, made 55 appearances in Belgium’s First Division A and added a handful of Europa Conference League outings last season.
Speaking about the 2019 Ligue 1 play-off winner during his tenure at Lotto Park, Kompany said: “He’s never named man of the match but he’s the most popular in the team.
“Those who admire him the most for his work rate are his teammates. He only has one thing in mind: the team. If the team wins, it’s because he has done a lot of work that others could not do.
Anderlecht, who bought the player for £500,000, are expected to wait over €2m for Cullen, who has a year left on his contract.