Accrington Stanley boss John Coleman on Morecambe win

Stanley scored three second-half goals to claim a 3-1 win over Morecambe in a turbulent Lancashire derby.

Morecambe striker Arthur Gnahoua was sent off for a consecutive red card after a mid-air collision with Mitch Clark in first-half added time.

The sending off spurred Stanley who took the lead just before the hour mark when Liam Coyle latched on to Clark’s pass to drive the ball past Connor Ripley.

The Shrimps equalized in the 77th minute with an own goal from Ryan Astley which converted a long clearance from Ripley past his own goalkeeper.

The home side bounced back and took the lead nine minutes from time when Ethan Hamilton fired a free-kick past Ripley.

Tommy Leigh completed the scoring five minutes from time with a far post finish from Jack Nolan’s cross.

“I don’t think he can have too many complaints. If he picks the man and not the ball, you still risk a red card,” Stanley chief John Coleman said.

“I don’t think the sending off changed the game too much because they were still looking to sit down and hit us at the break.

“But it gave us the extra man to go down the flanks and we took advantage of that and I think the guys showed great spirit.”

However, Morecambe boss Derek Adams felt the red card was “really harsh” and also complained about the Reds’ second goal.

He added: “The sending-off turned the game around and was really tough. The linesman said it was too much of a challenge but it certainly wasn’t.

“The reaction of the Accrington players didn’t help and I think they played a big part in the decision to send Arthur off.

“Even when we were a man down I thought we were still in the game and at 1-1 I thought we could have won but then they got a soft free kick from which they scored their second goal and that changed things again.”

About Jerry Richter

Check Also

Scottish singer-songwriter Rab Noakes dies aged 75

Scottish singer-songwriter Rab Noakes has died aged 75. Noakes died Friday in hospital after a …